A Pair of Cuba-Destined Relief Ships Declared Unaccounted For subsequent to Setting Sail from the Coast of Mexico.
A comprehensive search and recovery operation is currently under way in the Caribbean region for a duo of unlocated boats loaded with humanitarian supplies en route from the Mexican coast to Cuba.
Naval Rescue Efforts Deployed
Mexico has deployed navy personnel and reconnaissance aircraft to search for the two vessels, which were transporting no fewer than 9 sailors, as stated by a official statement.
The boats had been scheduled to arrive in Havana on either Tuesday or Wednesday, but there has been a complete lack of contact from them and no official word of their safe arrival, the navy said.
Context of Relief to the Island
Cuba has leaned on Mexico's over the last several weeks, as the nation grapples with repeated power outages across the country.
"Both captains and crews are veteran seafarers, and each boat are fitted with appropriate navigational gear and communication devices," a spokesperson for the convoy stated.
The nine-person crew are from Poland, France, Cuba and the US. Officials said it has opened communications with maritime rescue coordination centres from each country along with their embassy officials.
"The group is collaborating completely with the authorities and are still optimistic in the crews' ability to make it to Cuba without incident," the official further stated.
Recent Relief Mission
Earlier in the week, the Cuban government widely celebrated and greeted with fanfare another boat that had carried a significant amount of humanitarian aid to the country.
That vessel, called "a modern Granma" following the name of the vessel in which Fidel Castro landed in Cuba to begin the armed struggle in the 1950s, brought photovoltaic panels, drugs, formula milk, bikes and provisions.
Wider Political Backdrop
Non-governmental organizations and volunteers have been at the forefront of initiatives to bring essential supplies to Cuba starting at the turn of the year, a period which saw a fuel embargo on the Communist-run nation was initiated.
International organizations have since warned of "dire" shortages of supplies, with in excess of 50,000 surgeries called off in Cuba due to electricity supply constraints.
Foreign policy pressure have intensified in recent months, with comments from various leaders underscoring the delicate situation regarding bilateral relations.
In response to recent proposals, a prominent official from Cuba declared that "the governance model of Cuba is not up for negotiation."
Reports suggest that preliminary steps of talks were initiated, although their ongoing development remains not publicly known.
The naval forces stated it was dedicated to using every available asset at its reach to find the vessels and ensure the well-being of the crews.
To date, there has been no public statement on the disappeared vessels by the Cuban leadership.